Thursday, March 13, 2014

Graphic Novels- Part 1

Hello!

     Looking around my classroom the other day, I noticed that almost every single student was reading a graphic novel!  They were enthralled and intrigued with what they were reading, talking to each other about their books, and sharing parts that were interesting.  I was shocked because usually one or two students like this type of book format but not the whole class!  Girls, boys, struggling readers, and readers who like a challenge- they were all in love!  I had to learn more about this new phenomenon right away!  So in order to educate myself I went to the public library and checked out a variety of graphic novels and now I understand their appeal- they are hysterical, entertaining, exciting, and filled with knowledge all at the same time.  Here are some of the ones I read for you to share in your own classroom.

(Found on: http://www.andyrunton.com/owly/)


     When I first started reading Owly: Flying Lessons, I found it extremely difficult to comprehend.  This was one of my first graphic novels and it did not have any words!  Even when the characters "spoke" they communicated their feelings and thoughts through pictures!  Looking at the comics, I was not able to follow the storyline.  Then, I started saying the story in my head and found it to be fascinating! It is certainly a completely different way to comprehend a story and took a lot more concentration than a regular novel.  Owly has the most adorable characters that are lovable, have great friendships with one another even though they are very different creatures, and has a strong message at the end.  This series is perfect for students who are learning a second language, readers who struggle, or children who do not like to read.  It will certainly give them the confidence to pick up a book and not feel embarrassed by all of the pictures.


 (Found on: http://www.littleblogofstories.com/2012/11/lunch-lady-for-president.html)

     The Lunch Lady series came as a strong recommendation from my students.  I was a little skeptical as to whether I would like a book about a superhero lunch lady but once I started reading, I could not put it down.  It was action-packed, filled with funny food lines ("Oh doughnuts!" and "Sweet potatoes!"), realistic students, clever villains, and an unlikely but lovable superhero.  I laughed out loud when reading about her "weapons" (a hair net that grows larger when thrown and wraps around villains, fish stick nunchucks, and chicken nugget bombs) and was captivated by the plot throughout the whole novel.  This series would certainly be enjoyed by readers of all ages, young and old.


(Found on: https://www.capstonepub.com/product/9780736865531)

     The Graphic History series was one that I found on my own in the public library.  It includes varies events in United States history, from the Salem Witch Trials to how Betsy Ross created the American flag, plus many other topics.  In the graphic novel that I read, The Story of the Star-Spangled Banner, there was so much interesting information with great pictures to help the reader understand exactly what is happening.  Some of the fascinating facts that I learned was that the "Star-Spangled Banner" was not the original name (the previous name was "The Defence of Fort McHenry"), when it was written by Francis Scott Key it was a four verse poem but we only sing the first verse, and the Armistead Family (the family who kept the earliest American flag that inspired the song prior to it being housed in the Smithsonian) gave pieces of the flag to guests to take with them as keepsakes!  Eight feet of the material is missing due to this.  Plus there are many other facts that I had never learned in my classes growing up.  These graphic novels are perfect to use with any history lesson.

     Enjoy checking out these great graphic novels and using them in your classroom.  Many more recommendations to come!

Erica :)  

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for bringing these recommendations to the blog. I have not considered using these in the classroom, but you have reminded me about their value. My children, son in particular, LOVED, reading graphic novels when he was younger. He said it was sometimes easier to visualize with them, especially when reading something like the Star-Spangled Banner piece you mentioned above. I had a student last year that enjoyed them as much as my son had. If this is another way to accomplish live-long reading habits I'm with it all the way.

    ReplyDelete