Friday, July 24, 2015

Reluctant Readers

Hello!


(http://www.lifelovelauren.com/2013/08/reading-is-love.html)

     From the second I learned to read, I have always had multiple books under my arm.  I would take books in the car, I would often ask to go to the bookstore, and I would talk about the characters in my books like they were my friends.  I remember being about eight years old and asking for a booklight for the holidays so I could read in the car during family travels.  One time, after I had read the Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, my dad got worried because he thought Dumbledore was an actual person who had died (*Spoiler Alert!*) since I was moping around for a few days.  At any possible time, I was reading.  I feel fortunate that this is still a passion in my life today.
     As I went through my school career and even later into my adult life, I was shocked and dismayed that some peers and students did not love reading as much as I did.  Did they not see how you could be transported to other worlds?!  Live different lives?!  Meet interesting people?!  Hearing things such as "Reading is boring" or "I'd rather watch TV than read a book" would make my jaw drop and heart sink.  Even though there were (and are) many naysayers about the reading world, I would always think to myself, "If only they found the perfect story and then they wouldn't say that."
     This has been a goal in my life since I've been little; find the non-readers the perfect book to make them become avid readers.  I've been somewhat successful- my sister (a complete anti-book person) has read and enjoyed a few of my recommendations, my friend from work became interested in reading due to a class competition I made her join, and my husband enjoyed reading The Wolf of Wall Street by Jordan Belfort before he saw the movie which I bought him to read on a business trip.  The problem that I saw with all of these reluctant readers was that someone did not help them find the right book and the joy in reading when they were young.  I vowed to make sure that every student I came across would love reading, even if it was for only one story.



(https://www.thedailycafe.com/articles/Reluctant-Reader-Remedies?utm_source=Newsletter2&utm_campaign=a93e0a3a6a-Tip%3A+Reluctant+Reader+Remedies&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_a952d20f1e-a93e0a3a6a-%5BLIST_EMAIL_ID%5D&ct=t%28Tip%3A+Reluctant+Reader+Remedies%29)

     Finding ways to help reluctant readers might be a teacher's most challenging task.  Nevertheless, it is a struggle that needs to be battled each and every year, time and time again.  All students should feel the joy of reading a great book and be engrossed in a story at least once in their lives.  Usually if they have that feeling once, they are more hesitant to let it go.  
     Lori Sabo wrote an article for The Daily Cafe newsletter and suggested ways that teachers can help reluctant readers, no matter what the age:
  • Make sure that you have high-interest books in your classroom at many different reading levels.
  • Provide as much choice as possible throughout the year for what they need to read.
  • Buy, beg, or borrow books that match students' personal interests.  If they are interested in dogs, get them dog books!
  • Read many books aloud that match your students' reading levels.
  • Stay up-to-date with the newest books, current trends and popular titles.
  • Give weekly book talks to help pique interest and promote titles (I do this with books I am reading during my morning message).
  • Read the first chapter of a book that you know they'll love and then give it to students who are interested.
     One suggestion I came up with is that if you as a teacher have a passion for reading, your students will feel it and follow in your footsteps.  It is truly difficult to oppose someone when you can feel their passion.  Passion is magnetic.
     No matter the subject, every teacher should make it their mission to engage students in reading.  I strongly hope that once and for all, we eradicate the sentence "I hate to read."

Enjoy!

*Note* If you want to receive emailed newsletters from The Daily Cafe for yourself (they have LOTS of excellent anecdotes and tips for teachers), please click HERE.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I completely agree with you, especially about teachers being excited about reading. Excitement is contagious and when teachers show how excited they are about reading, little ones can't help but be excited themselves. Teachers and parents have a very important role to young readers.

    ReplyDelete