Sunday, April 13, 2014

The Best Wordless Book EVER

Hello!

     Through my search of wordless books, I have come across many that I enjoyed and some of which I believe words would have made them more exciting.  Today I am going to share my favorite of all the wordless books I have "read" and then I am going to take a break from this topic and start reading books with words once again. :)



(http://www.bigpicturepress.net/our-books/welcome-to-mamoko/)

     Welcome to Mamoko by Aleksandra Mizielińska and Daniel Mizieliński, is a wordless book with many stories in one.  On the first page, the authors introduce you to the interesting and unique characters you are going to meet throughout the book with a question relating to each one's adventure (some examples are: Mrs. Full Wool who is a grandma sheep or The Hop Family, a family of 5 rabbits).  Then you turn the page and are astounded by the picture you see.  Not only is it filled with lots of details (think Where's Waldo or I Spy) but it is the beginning of the day in the town of Mamoko.  As you flip the pages and find the characters, they continue their daily activities as they go around the town.  The characters are fun to follow and you truly do not know how each one is going to end their short but exciting journey.
     This wordless book is great for all ages.  I used this with the younger students I tutor first.  They enjoyed choosing a character in the beginning to follow, exploring the pictures and then identifying the character of their choice on each page, and finally putting the entire story together at the end.  We would also return to the first page to answer the question relating to the character they chose.  Additionally, I could use this with my older students to tell me what happened in the character of their choice's life prior to the start of the book or have them continue the rest of the story.  Finally, I could teach about point of view by having my students write pretending to be one of the characters.  I shared Welcome to Mamoko with my mother who is the speech-language pathologist for my school.  She said that her students enjoyed the book immensely and was able to use it when working on language, especially with predictions and inferencing.  

     All around, this was my favorite wordless book I have come across this year and had to share it with you.  Enjoy working with this excellent book!

Erica :)

No comments:

Post a Comment